Environmental Problems and Education in Last Five Years
1 The University of Texas at Austin, USA2 Kazan Federal University, RUSSIA3 Austin Community College, USA* Corresponding Author
Aquademia, 2022, 6(2), ep22006, https://doi.org/10.30935/aquademia/12302
OPEN ACCESS 98 Views 48 Downloads
Environmental education continues to be popular all the time. Researchers have been trying to raise awareness of people by doing valuable studies on this issue. However, it is very difficult to follow all of these studies. That is why this mini-review aims to present a bunch of studies on environmental pollution in the last 5 years for researchers. In order to achieve this aim, the ERIC (Education Resources Information Center) database was searched using the “Environmental” and “Pollution” keywords. Then the full-text articles directly related to environmental education since 2018 were summarized in a table in which countries they were made and which data collection tools were used. These studies were read independently by the researchers and qualitative data analysis was carried out. According to the results of the data analysis, four themes were created: i) Research on environmental education; ii) Teaching-learning method and activities about environmental education; iii) Literacy, knowledge, attitude, behavior and, awareness about environmental education; iv) COVID-19 and challenge. The relevant texts of the selected studies were placed into the appropriate theme. In the last part of the study, some suggestions were presented for future studies.
Sinan, O., Usak, M., & Sinan, Y. (2022). Environmental Problems and Education in Last Five Years. Aquademia, 6(2), ep22006. https://doi.org/10.30935/aquademia/12302
- Ablak, S., & Yesiltas, E. (2020). Secondary school students' awareness of environmental education concepts. Review of International Geographical Education, 10(3), 445-466. https://doi.org/10.33403/rigeo.745951
- Aksan, Z., Celikler, D., & Yenikalayci, N. (2019). The determination on the science teaching candidates’ awareness about the recycling. Anadolu Journal of Educational Sciences International, 9(2), 881-901. https://doi.org/10.18039/ajesi.583817
- Berber, A. (2021). How do candidate science teachers solve environmental problems? Shanlax International Journal of Education, 9(4), 247-258. https://doi.org/10.34293/education.v9i4.4143
- Cepel, N. (2003). Ecological problems and solutions (2nd ed.). TUBITAK Popular Science Books, Aydogdu Printing.
- Dogan, Y., & Simsar, A. (2019). Investigation of preservice preschool teachers’ views on environmental problems and relevant suggestions of solution. International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education, 11(2), 151-159. https://doi.org/10.26822/iejee.2019248589
- Duran, M. (2021). Perception of preschool children about environmental pollution. Journal of Education in Science, Environment and Health, 7(3), 200-219. https://doi.org/10.21891/jeseh.733800
- Hasturk, G., & Balliel Unal, B. (2021). Effect of concept cartoon applications on the attitudes of candidate teachers with respect to environment problems. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching, 8(3), 1527-1542.
- Ichsan, I. Z., Purwanto, A., Rahmayanti, H., Koc, I., Turan, M., Gomes, P., Rahman, M. M., Auliandari, L., Adlini, M., Permana, I., & Adri, H. (2021). ILMIZI model in environmental learning during COVID-19: Improving students’ attitudes in university. Edubiotik: Jurnal Pendidikan, Biologi dan Terapan, 6(01), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.33503/ebio.v6i01.1221
- Itasanmi, S. A., & Jegede, T. E. (2019). Investigation of market women’s environmental knowledge, attitude and behaviour in nigerian city of ibadan. International Journal of Education & Literacy Studies, 7(4), 76-82. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijels.v.7n.4p.76
- Kalayci, S. (2020). Cognitive perceptions of pre-service science teacher for environmental pollution. Journal of Baltic Science Education, 19(3), 415-428. https://doi.org/10.33225/jbse/20.19.415
- Kiraz, A., & Salman, S. A. M. (2021). Comparison of environmental thoughts of domestic and international students living in Northern Cyprus. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching, 8(2), 1127-1137.
- Kuswendi, U., & Arga, H. S. P. (2020). Developing environmental literacy of primary school students by utilizing scraps. Mimbar Sekolah Dasar, 7(2), 198-215. https://doi.org/10.17509/mimbar-sd.v7i2.26497
- Mahat, H., Hashim, M., Saleh, Y., Nayan, N., & Norkhaidi, S. B. (2020). Transformation of education for sustainable development through low carbon schools community program. Journal of Turkish Science Education, 17(3), 429-442.
- Mutlu, F, Nacaroglu, O., & Dogan, M. (2021). Awareness of the gifted students and their normally developing peers about environmental education concepts. Acta Didactica Napocensia, 14(1), 2-16. https://doi.org/10.24193/adn.14.1.1
- Ozer Keskin, M., & Aksakal, E. (2020). An investigation of environmental literacy levels and environmental pollution images of 7th year pup. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching, 7(4), 1343-1368.
- Pullu, S., & Pullu, E. K. (2021). The effect of the activity-based environmental education course on the attitudes and behavior levels of the students of child development program concerning environmental problems. African Educational Research Journal, 9(3), 762-773. https://doi.org/10.30918/AERJ.93.21.121
- Recepoglu, S. (2021). Examination of secondary school students’ vıews on environmental ıssues. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching, 8(4), 2701-2719.
- Sholahuddin, A., Susilowati, E., Prahani, B. K., & Erman, E. (2021). Using a cognitive style based learning strategy to improve students’ environmental knowledge and scientific literacy. International Journal of Instruction, 14(4), 791-808. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2021.14445a
- Sinan, O. (2015). Investigation of the students’ knowledge and attitudes regarding biotechnology according to different variables. YYU Journal of Education Faculty, XII(I), 183-201.
- Topal, M., Guven Yildirim, E., & Onder, A. N. (2020). Use of educational films in environmental education as a digital learning object. Journal of Education in Science, Environment and Health, 6(2), 134-147. https://doi.org/10.21891/jeseh.703492
- Urbanska, M., Charzynski, P., Gadsby, H., Novak, T. J., Sahin, S., & Yilmaz, M. D. (2021). Environmental threats and geographical education: Students’ sustainability awareness—Evaluation. Education Sciences, 12(1), 1. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci12010001
- Yuksel, I. (2021). The views of pre-service science teachers on recycling. International Journal of Progressive Education, 17(4), 451-464. https://doi.org/10.29329/ijpe.2021.366.27
- Zannat, M., Jalil, M. A., Iqbal, T., & Alam, M. R. (2021). Evaluating environmental education of textile students and their attitudes toward environmental degradation. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching, 8(1), 1-15.