Prevalence and Factors Associated with Musculoskeletal Pain among Secondary School Students
Aquademia, 2021, 5(2), ep21008, https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/10964
The purpose of this paper is to examine the factors associated with the occurrence of shoulder pain, neck pain, upper back pain and lower back pain with particular focus on carrying schoolbags. A questionnaire containing a range of musculoskeletal pain related information was designed specifically for a group of schoolchildren aged 11 to 20 years and distributed to Grade 7 to Grade 13 students attending three main secondary education schools in Mauritius over the period July 2017 to February 2018. A total of 1048 questionnaires were circulated out of which 849 were useable. The study analyzed the impact of socio-economic characteristics, student perception of use of tablets, type of schoolbag, private tuition, performance, duration of bag carriage and anthropometric characteristics. Logistic regressions models were applied to inspect how those recorded factors contribute to the occurrence of musculoskeletal pain. The main findings in this paper indicate that students from single-sexed girl and mixed schools relative to boys’ schools, student perception of tablet use, backpack schoolbag relative to handbag and shoulder-bag, performance, total weight and excess weight of schoolbags have significant positive impact on musculoskeletal pain. The results point towards the importance of raising awareness among students to achieve a positive musculoskeletal health. Information obtained is deemed to affect schoolbook and equipment-carrying behaviour and future choice of schoolbag type.
Nauzeer, S., & Jaunky, V. C. (2021). Prevalence and Factors Associated with Musculoskeletal Pain among Secondary School Students. Aquademia, 5(2), ep21008. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/10964
Nauzeer, S., and Jaunky, V. C. (2021). Prevalence and Factors Associated with Musculoskeletal Pain among Secondary School Students. Aquademia, 5(2), ep21008. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/10964
Nauzeer S, Jaunky VC. Prevalence and Factors Associated with Musculoskeletal Pain among Secondary School Students. AQUADEMIA. 2021;5(2):ep21008. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/10964
Nauzeer S, Jaunky VC. Prevalence and Factors Associated with Musculoskeletal Pain among Secondary School Students. AQUADEMIA. 2021;5(2), ep21008. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/10964
Nauzeer, Salim, and Vishal Chandr Jaunky. "Prevalence and Factors Associated with Musculoskeletal Pain among Secondary School Students". Aquademia 2021 5 no. 2 (2021): ep21008. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/10964
Nauzeer, Salim et al. "Prevalence and Factors Associated with Musculoskeletal Pain among Secondary School Students". Aquademia, vol. 5, no. 2, 2021, ep21008. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/10964
- Abdelraouf, O. R., Hamada, H. A., Selim, A., Shendy, W., & Zakaria, H. (2016). Effect of backpack shoulder straps length on cervical posture and upper trapezius pressure pain threshold. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 28(9), 2437-2440. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.2437
- Al-Hazzaa, H. M. (2006). School backpack. How much load do Saudi school boys carry on their shoulders?. Saudi Medical Journal, 27(10), 1567-1571.
- Al-Qato, A.O., Issa, K., & Abu-Hijleh, G. (2012). The Influence of Backpacks on Students backs: A Cross-Sectional Study of Schools in Tulkarm District (Doctoral dissertation, Masters Thesis. An-Najah National University).
- Alshagga, M. A., Nimer, A. R., Yan, L. P., Ibrahim, I. A. A., Al-Ghamdi, S. S., & Al-Dubai, S. A. R. (2013). Prevalence and factors associated with neck, shoulder and low back pains among medical students in a Malaysian Medical College. BMC Research Notes, 6(1), 244. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-6-244
- Annand, D. (2008). Learning efficacy and cost-effectiveness of print versus e-book instructional material in an introductory financial accounting course. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 7(2), 152-164.
- Arghavani, F., Alizadeh, H., Rahmani, K., Rezai, L., Bidarpoor, F., & Bigi, F. (2016). Prevalence and causes of musculoskeletal pain among middle school students in Sanandaj, Iran. https://doi.org/10.18869/acadpub.jrh.6.5.465
- Arghavani, F., Zamanian, Z., Ghanbary, A., & Hassanzadeh, J. (2014). Investigation of the relationship between carrying school bags (handbags and backpacks) and the prevalence of musculoskeletal pains among 12-15-year-old students in Shiraz. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 17(4), 550-554. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2014.550.554
- Aundhakar, C. D., Bahatkar, K. U., Padiyar, M. S., Jeswani, D. H., & Colaco, S. (2015). Back pain in children associated with backpacks. Indian Journal of Pain, 29(1), 29. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-5333.145941
- Ayanniyi, O., Mbada, C. E., & Iroko, O. P. (2010). NP occurrence and characteristics in Nigerian University undergraduates. TAF Preventive Medicine Bulletin, 9(3).
- Bailey, A. L., & Butler, F. A. (2003). An evidentiary framework for operationalizing academic language for broad application to K-12 education: A design document. Center for the Study of Evaluation, National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing, Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, University of California, Los Angeles.
- Balague, F., Dutoit, G., & Waldburger, M. (1998), Low BP in schoolchildren. Scandinavian Journal of Rehabilitative Medicine, 20, 175-179.
- Balamurugan, J. (2014). School bags and musculoskeletal pain among elementary school children in Chennai city. International Journal of Medical Science and Clinical Invention, 1, 302-309.
- Brackley, H. M., & Stevenson, J. M. (2004). Are children’s backpack weight limits enough?: A critical review of the relevant literature. Spine, 29(19), 2184-2190. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000141183.20124.a9
- Breusch, T. S., & Pagan, A. R. (1979). Simple test for heteroscedasticity and random coefficient variation. Econometrica, 47, 1287-1294. https://doi.org/10.2307/1911963
- Briggs, A. M., Woolf, A. D., Dreinhöfer, K., Homb, N., Hoy, D. G., Kopansky-Giles, D., Åkesson, K., & March, L. (2018). Reducing the global burden of musculoskeletal conditions. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 96(5), 366. https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.17.204891
- Brzęk, A., Dworrak, T., Strauss, M., Sanchis-Gomar, F., Sabbah, I., Dworrak, B., & Leischik, R. (2017). The weight of pupils’ schoolbags in early school age and its influence on body posture. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 18(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-017-1462-z
- Bullard, H. C. (2011). The effects of school enrollment size on student achievement.
- Burgess, S. M. (2016). Human capital and education: The state of the art in the economics of education.
- Burke, A. M. (1987). Making a big school smaller: The school-within-a-school arrangement for middle level schools.
- Burton, K. D., Lydon, J. E., D’alessandro, D. U., & Koestner, R. (2006). The differential effects of intrinsic and identified motivation on well-being and performance: prospective, experimental, and implicit approaches to self-determination theory. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 91(4), 750. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.110
- Calisir, F., & Akdag, H. C. (Eds.) (2017). Industrial engineering in the industry 4.0 era. Selected papers from the global joint conference on industrial engineering and its application areas, GJCIE 2017, July 20–21, Vienna, Austria. Springer.
- Callahan, L. F., Rao, J., & Boutaugh, M. (1996). Arthritis and women’s health: Prevalence, impact, and prevention. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 12(5), 401-409. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(18)30298-8
- Candotti, C. T., Noll, M., & Roth, E. (2012). Avaliação do peso e do modo de transporte do material escolar emalunos do ensino fundamental [Evaluation of the weight and mode of transport of school supplies in elementary school students]. Revista Paulista De Pediatria, 30(1), 100-106. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-05822012000100015
- Chansirinukor, W., Wilson, D., Grimmer, K., & Dansie, B. (2001). Effects of backpacks on students: Measurement of cervical and shoulder posture. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy, 47(2), 110-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60302-0
- Chen, Y. L., & Mu, Y. C. (2018). Effects of backpack load and position on body strains in male schoolchildren while walking. PloS one, 13(3), e0193648. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0193648
- Darmawan, J., Valkenburg, H. A., Muirden, K. D., & Wigley, R. D. (1992). Epidemiology of rheumatic diseases in rural and urban populations in Indonesia: A World Health Organisation international league against rheumatism COPCORD study, Stage I, Phase 2. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 51(4), 525. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.51.4.525
- David, A. C. (2007). HIV/AIDS and social capital in a cross-section of countries. The World Bank. https://doi.org/10.1596/1813-9450-4263
- DeBenedictis, L. F., & Giles, D. E. A. (1998). Diagnostic testing in econometrics: Variable addition, RESET and fourier approximations. In A. Ullah, & D. E. A. Giles (Eds.). Handbook of applied economic statistics (pp. 383–417). Marcel Dekker.
- Deeney, C., & O’Sullivan, L. (2009). Work related psychosocial risks and musculoskeletal disorders: Potential risk factors, causation and evaluation methods. Work, 34(2), 239-248. https://doi.org/10.3233/WOR-2009-0921
- Dianat, I., Javadivala, Z., Asghari-Jafarabadi, M., Asl Hashemi, A., & Haslegrave, C. M. (2013). The use of schoolbags and musculoskeletal symptoms among primary school children: Are the recommended weight limits adequate?. Ergonomics, 56(1), 79-89. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139.2012.729612
- Dianat, I., Sorkhi, N., Pourhossein, A., Alipour, A., & Asghari-Jafarabadi, M. (2014). Neck, shoulder and low BP in secondary schoolchildren in relation to schoolbag carriage: Should the recommended weight limits be gender-specific? Applied Ergonomics, 45(3), 437-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2013.06.003
- Diepenmaat, A. C. M., Van Der Wal, M. F., De Vet, H. C. W., & Hirasing, R. A. (2006). Neck/shoulder, low back, and arm pain in relation to computer use, physical activity, stress, and depression among Dutch adolescents. Pediatrics, 117(2), 412-416. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2004-2766
- Dockrell, S., Kane, C., & O’keefe, E. (2006). Schoolbag weight and the effects of schoolbag carriage on secondary school students. Ergonomics, 9, 216-222.
- Dockrell, S., Simms, C., & Blake, C. (2015). Schoolbag carriage and schoolbag-related musculoskeletal discomfort among primary school children. Applied Ergonomics, 51, 281-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2015.05.009
- Drzał-Grabiec, J., Snela, S., Rachwał, M., Rykała, J., & Podgórska, J. (2013). Effects of carrying a backpack in a symmetrical manner on the shape of the feet. Ergonomics, 56(10), 1577-1583. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139.2013.828102
- El-Nagar, S. A., & Mady, M. M. (2017). School bag usage, postural and behavioral habits and its effect on back pain occurrence among school children.
- Embong, A. M., Noor, A. M., Hashim, H. M., Ali, R. M., & Shaari, Z. H. (2012). E-books as textbooks in the classroom. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 47, 1802-1809. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.06.903
- Fairbank, J. C., Pynsent, P. B., Van, J. P., & Phillips, H. (1984). Influence of anthropometric factors and joint laxity in the incidence of adolescent BP. Spine, 9(5), 461-464. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198407000-00007
- Feldt, R., Angelis, L., Torkar, R., & Samuelsson, M. (2010). Links between the personalities, views and attitudes of software engineers. Information and Software Technology, 52(6), 611-624. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infsof.2010.01.001
- Fernandes, S. M. D. S., Casarotto, R. A., & João, S. M. A. (2008). Efeitos de sessões educativas no uso das mochilas escolares em estudantes do ensino fundamental [Effects of educational sessions on the use of school bags on elementary school students]. Revista Brasileira De Fisioterapia, 12(6), 447-453. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1413-35552008005000002
- Fillingim, R. B. (2003). Sex, gender and pain: The biopsychosocial model in action XX vs. XY. The International Journal of Sex Differences in the Study of Health, Disease and Aging, 1, 98-101.
- Fomby, T. B., Johnson, S. R., & Hill, R. C. (1984). Review of ordinary least squares and generalized least squares. In Advanced econometric methods (pp. 7-25). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-8746-4_2
- Freedman, T. Z. (2009). A kindle in every backpack: A proposal for etextbooks in American schools.
- Frisch, R. (1970). From utopian theory to practical applications: The case of econometrics. In Economic Planning Studies (pp. 1-39). Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-010-1895-1_1
- George, D., Nayak, B. S., & Shetty, S. (2015). Bag pack weight and musculoskeletal discomfort among school children. Nursing and Midwifery Research, 11(3), 97. https://doi.org/10.33698/NRF0188
- Gindes, M. (1998). The psychological effects of relocation for children of divorce. Journal of American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 15, 119.
- Goldin, C., & Katz, L.F., 1999. Human capital and social capital: the rise of secondary schooling in America, 1910–1940. Journal of interdisciplinary history, 29(4), 683-723. https://doi.org/10.1162/002219599551868
- Goodgold, S., Corcoran, M., Gamache, D., Gillis, J., Guerin, J., & Coyle, J. Q. (2002). Backpack use in children. Pediatric Physical Therapy: The Official Publication of the Section on Pediatrics of the American Physical Therapy Association, 14(3), 122-131. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PEP.0000028834.19877.54
- Greene, W. H. (2000). Econometric analysis (International edition).
- Grimmer, K. A., Williams, M. T., & Gill, T. K. (1999). The associations between adolescent head-on-neck posture, backpack weight, and anthropometric features. Spine, 24(21), 2262. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199911010-00015
- Grimmer, K., & Williams, M. (2000). Gender-age environmental associates of adolescent low BP. Applied Ergonomics, 31, 343-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-6870(00)00002-8
- Hakala, P. T., Saarni, L. A., Punamäki, R. L., Wallenius, M. A., Nygård, C. H., & Rimpelä, A. H. (2012). Musculoskeletal symptoms and computer use among Finnish adolescents-pain intensity and inconvenience to everyday life: A cross-sectional study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 13(1), 41. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-13-41
- Hakala, P., Rimpelä, A., Salminen, J. J., Virtanen, S. M., & Rimpelä, M. (2002). Back, neck, and pain in Finnish adolescents: national cross sectional surveys. BMJ, 325(7367), 743. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.325.7367.743
- Hanvold, T. N., Wærsted, M., Mengshoel, A. M., Bjertness, E., Twisk, J., & Veiersted, K. B. (2014). A longitudinal study on risk factors for neck and SP among young adults in the transition from technical school to working life. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health, 597-609. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.3437
- Haq, S. A., Darmawan, J., Islam, M. N., Uddin, M. Z., Das, B. B., Rahman, F., Chowdhury, M. A. J., Alam, M. N., Mahmud, T. A. K., Chowdhury, M. R., & Tahir, M. (2005). Prevalence of rheumatic diseases and associated outcomes in rural and urban communities in Bangladesh: A COPCORD study. The Journal of Rheumatology, 32(2), 348-353.
- Haselgrove, C., Straker, L., Smith, A., O’sullivan, P., Perry, M., & Sloan, N. (2008). Perceived school bag load, duration of carriage, and method of transport to school are associated with spinal pain in adolescents: An observational study. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy, 54(3), 193-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(08)70026-6
- Hashemi, M., Azizinezhad, M., Najafi, V., & Nesari, A. J. (2011). What is mobile learning? Challenges and capabilities. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 30, 2477-2481. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.10.483
- Hendi, O. M., Abdulaziz, A. A., Althaqafi, A. M., Hindi, A. M., Khan, S. A., & Atalla, A. A. (2019). Prevalence of musculoskeletal disorders and its correlation to physical activity among health specialty students. International Journal of Preventive Medicine, 10. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijpvm.IJPVM_436_18
- Hershkovich, O., Friedlander, A., Gordon, B., Arzi, H., Derazne, E., Tzur, D., Shamis, A., & Afek, A. (2013). Associations of body mass index and body height with low BP in 829,791 adolescents. American Journal of Epidemiology, 178(4), 603-609. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwt019
- Hestbaek, L., Korsholm, L., Leboeuf-Yde, C., & Kyvik, K. O. (2008). Does socioeconomic status in adolescence predict low BP in adulthood? A repeated cross-sectional study of 4,771 Danish adolescents. European Spine Journal, 17(12), 1727. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-008-0796-5
- Hogg-Johnson, S., Van Der Velde, G., Carroll, L. J., Holm, L. W., Cassidy, J. D., Guzman, J., Côté, P., Haldeman, S., Ammendolia, C., Carragee, E., & Hurwitz, E. (2009). The burden and determinants of NP in the general population: Results of the bone and joint decade 2000–2010 task force on NP and its associated disorders. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 32(2), S46-S60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2008.11.010
- Holman, 1966. Medical Research Council’s Committee on the aetiology of chronic bronchitis. Instructions for the Use of the Questionnaire on Respiratory Symptoms: Devon, Australia.
- Hong, Y., & Cheung, C. K. (2003). Gait and posture responses to backpack load during level walking in children. Gait and Posture, 17(1), 28-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(02)00050-4
- Hong, Y., Li, J. X., & Fong, D. T. P. (2008). Effect of prolonged walking with backpack loads on trunk muscle activity and fatigue in children. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 18(6), 990-996. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2007.06.013
- Hoy, D., Geere, J. A., Davatchi, F., Meggitt, B., & Barrero, L. H. (2014). A time for action: Opportunities for preventing the growing burden and disability from musculoskeletal conditions in low-and middle-income countries. Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology, 28(3), 377-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2014.07.006
- Issa, L. F., Nagy A., Seleem, N. A., Bakheit, A. M., Baky, A. A., & Alotaibi, A. F. (2016). Low BP among undergraduate students at Taif University - Saudi Arabia.
- Jarque, C. M., & Bera, A. K. (1987). A test for normality of observations and regression residuals. International Statistical Review, 2, 163-172. https://doi.org/10.2307/1403192
- Jovinius, J. (2015). An investigation of the effect of geographical location of schools to the students’ academic performance: A case of public secondary schools in Muleba District (Doctoral dissertation, The Open University of Tanzania).
- Kang, Y. Y., Wang, M. J. J., & Lin, R. (2009). Usability evaluation of e-books. Displays, 30(2), 49-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.displa.2008.12.002
- Kassenboehmer, S., & Schmidt, C. (2011). Beyond GDP and back: What is the value-added by additional components of welfare measurement?. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1753686
- Kędra, A., & Czaprowski, D. (2013). Epidemiology of back pain in children and youth aged 10–19 from the area of the Southeast of Poland. BioMed Research International (2013). https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/506823
- Kellis, E., & Emmanouilidou, M. (2010). The effects of age and gender on the weight and use of schoolbags. Pediatric Physical Therapy, 22(1), 17-25. https://doi.org/10.1097/PEP.0b013e3181cbf852
- Khalid, F., Amjad, F., Ashfaq Ahmad, S. A. G., & Hanif, M. K. (2018). Frequency of neck pain due to school bag usage among students of public high schools in Lahore, Pakistan. Pakistan Pediatric Journal, 42(3), 207-211.
- Kim, J. H., Aulck, L., Thamsuwan, O., Bartha, M. C., & Johnson, P. W. (2014). The effect of key size of touch screen virtual keyboards on productivity, usability, and typing biomechanics. Human Factors, 56(7), 1235-1248. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018720814531784
- King, S., Chambers, C. T., Huguet, A., Macnevin, R. C., Mcgrath, P. J., Parker, L., & Macdonald, A. J. (2011). The epidemiology of chronic pain in children and adolescents revisited: A systematic review. Pain, 152(12), 2729-2738. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2011.07.016
- Korovessis, P., Koureas, G., & Papazisis, Z. (2004). Correlation between backpack weight and way of carrying, sagittal and frontal spinal curvatures, athletic activity, and dorsal and low BP in schoolchildren and adolescents. Clinical Spine Surgery, 17(1), 33-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/00024720-200402000-00008
- Kristjansdottir, G., & Rhee, H. (2002). Risk factors of BP frequency in schoolchildren: A search for explanations to a public health problem. Acta Paediatrica, 91(7), 849-854. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2002.tb03339.x
- Kumar, G., Chhabra, A., Dewan, V., & Yadav, T. P. (2017). Idiopathic musculoskeletal pain in Indian children–prevalence and impact on daily routine. Revistabrasileira De Reumatologia, 57(1), 8-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rbr.2015.03.005
- Kwon, M. A., Shim, W. S., Kim, M. H., Gwak, M. S., Hahm, T. S., Kim, G. S., Kim, C. S., Choi, Y. H., Park, J. H., Cho, H. S., & Kim, T. H. (2006). A correlation between low BP and associated factors: A study involving 772 patients who had undergone general physical examination. Journal of Korean Medical Science, 21(6), 1086-1091. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2006.21.6.1086
- Larson, J. (2009). Educational psychology: cognition and learning, individual differences and motivation. Nova Science Publishers.
- Leboeuf-Yde, C., Wedderkopp, N., Andersen, L. B., Froberg, K., & Hansen, H. S. (2002). BP reporting in children and adolescents: The impact of parents’ educational level. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 25(4), 216-220. https://doi.org/10.1067/mmt.2002.123172
- Lee, S. P., Hsu, Y. T., Bair, B., Toberman, M., & Chien, L. C. (2018). Gender and posture are significant risk factors to musculoskeletal symptoms during touchscreen tablet computer use. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 30(6), 855-861. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.30.855
- Leveille, S. G., Ling, S., Hochberg, M. C., Resnick, H. E., Bandeen-Roche, K. J., Won, A., & Guralnik, J. M. (2001). Widespread musculoskeletal pain and the progression of disability in older disabled women. Annals of Internal Medicine, 135(12), 1038-1046. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-135-12-200112180-00007
- Lewandowski, J., & Lukaszewska, K. (2014). Characteristics of BP in polish youth depending on place of residence. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine, 21(3). https://doi.org/10.5604/12321966.1120618
- Limon, S., Valinsky, L. J., & Ben-Shalom, Y. (2004). Children at risk: Risk factors for low BP in the elementary school environment. Spine, 29(6), 697-702. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000116695.09697.22
- Lindström, B., & Eriksson, M. (2011). From health education to healthy learning: Implementing salutogenesis in educational science. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 39(6_suppl), 85-92. https://doi.org/10.1177/1403494810393560
- Lingard, B., & Rawolle, S. (2010). Globalization and the rescaling of education politics and policy. New Thinking in Comparative Education. Honouring Robert Cowen, pp. 33-52. https://doi.org/10.1163/9789460913051_005
- Linton, S. J. (1990). Risk factors for neck and BP in a working population in Sweden. Work and Stress, 4(1), 41-49. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678379008256963
- López-Aragón, L., López-Liria, R., Callejón-Ferre, Á. J., & Gómez-Galán, M. (2017). Applications of the standardized nordic questionnaire: A review. https://doi.org/10.3390/su9091514
- Malhotra, K., & Nistane, R. H. (2016). Study of obesity and hypertension in adolescents and their relationship with anthropometric indices. International Journal of Contemporary Pediatrics, 3(3), 1014-1021. https://doi.org/10.18203/2349-3291.ijcp20162383
- Malik, L. A., Pasha, M. U., Khalid, S., Ahmad, A., & Gilani, S. A. (2017). Prevalence of neck pain among undergraduate students of lahore. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research.
- Mcbeth, J., & Jones, K. (2007). Epidemiology of chronic musculoskeletal pain. Best Practice and Research Clinical Rheumatology, 21(3), 403-425. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2007.03.003
- Mcgrady, A., & Moss, D. (2018). Integrative pathways: Navigating chronic illness with a mind-body-spirit approach. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-89313-6
- Melo-Marins, D. D., Carvalho, R. G. D. S., & Gomes, L. E. (2015). Weight of school material and BP in students leaving their books at school. RevistaDor, 16(4), 276-279. https://doi.org/10.5935/1806-0013.20150056
- Mikkelsson, M., Salminen, J. J., & Kautiainen, H., (1997a). Non-specific musculoskeletal pain in preadolescents. Prevalence and 1-year persistence. Pain, 73(1), 29-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(97)00073-0
- Mikkelsson, M., Sourander, A., Piha, J., & Salminen, J. J. (1997b). Psychiatric symptoms in preadolescents with musculoskeletal pain and fibromyalgia. Pediatrics, 100(2), 220-227. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.100.2.220
- Mikkonen, P., Heikkala, E., Paananen, M., Remes, J., Taimela, S., Auvinen, J., & Karppinen, J. (2016). Accumulation of psychosocial and lifestyle factors and risk of low BP in adolescence: A cohort study. European Spine Journal, 25(2), 635-642. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-015-4065-0
- Milbradt, S. N., Pranke, G. I., Texeira, C. S., Lemos, L. F., Alves, R. F., & Mota, C. B. (2011). Aspectos da coluna vertebral relacionados a postura em crianças e adolescentes em idade escolar [Spine aspects related to posture in school-age children and adolescents]. Fisioter Bras, 12(2), 127-132. https://doi.org/10.33233/fb.v12i2.812
- Miller, S. J. (2006). The method of least squares. Mathematics Department Brown University, pp.1-7.
- Moore, M. J., White, G. L., & Moore, D. L. (2007). Association of relative backpack weight with reported pain, pain sites, medical utilization, and lost school time in children and adolescents. Journal of School Health, 77(5), 232-239. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2007.00198.x
- Muppidi, G. E., John, A. S., Angel, M. R., Thomvic, M. R., Rebekah, G., & Padankatti, S. M. (2019). Burdened by the bag: A school-based cross-sectional survey. The Indian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 51(4), 140. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijoth.ijoth_13_19
- Mwaka, E. S., Munabi, I. G., Buwembo, W., Kukkiriza, J., & Ochieng, J. (2014). Musculoskeletal pain and school bag use: A cross-sectional study among Ugandan pupils. BMC Research Notes, 7(1), 222. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-7-222
- Natasha, A. A., Syukri, A. A., Diana, M. K. S. N., Ima-Nirwana, S., & Chin, K. Y. (2018). The association between backpack use and low back pain among pre-university students: A pilot study. Journal of Taibah University Medical Sciences, 13(2), 205-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtumed.2017.06.005
- O’Brien, E. M., & Dervarics, C. (2010). Charter schools: Finding out the facts. Center for Public Education.
- Panicker, R. K., & Sandesh, T. S. (2014). Prevalence of musculoskeletal pain in school going adolescents using school bags: A co-relational research. International Journal of Therapies and Rehabilitation Research, 3(4), 1. https://doi.org/10.5455/ijtrr.00000039
- Papadopoulou, D., Malliou, P., Kofotolis, N., Emmanouilidou, M. I., & Kellis, E. (2014). The association between grade, gender, physical activity, and back pain among children carrying schoolbags. Archives of Exercise in Health & Disease, 4(1).
- Pascoe, D. D., Pascoe, D. E., Wang, Y. T., Shim, D. M., & Kim, C. K. (1997). Influence of carrying book bags on gait cycle and posture of youths. Ergonomics, 40(6), 631-640. https://doi.org/10.1080/001401397187928
- Paušić, J., & Rausavljević, N. (2009). Changes in children’s posture developed from first to third grade of elementary school. Kinesiologia Slovenica, 15(3), 1-7.
- Paušić, J., Kujundžić, H., & Penjak, A. (2013). Possible influences of a heavy backpack on BP syndrome in primary school children. Croatian Journal of Education, 15(2), 275-287.
- Perrone, M., Orr, R., Hing, W., Milne, N., & Pope, R. (2018). The impact of backpack loads on school children: A critical narrative review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(11), 2529. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15112529
- Power, C. (1991). Social and economic background and class inequalities in health among young adults. Social Science & Medicine, 32(4), 411-417. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(91)90342-A
- President Ronald Reagan, “Remarks at a briefing for the White House work-shop on choice in education,” January 10, 1989.
- Quiggin, J. (1999). Human capital theory and education policy in Australia. Australian Economic Review, 32(2), 130-144. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8462.00100
- Rai, A., & Agarawal, S. (2013). Back problems due to heavy backpacks in school children. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 10, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.9790/0837-1062226
- Rajan, P., & Koti, A. (2013). Ergonomic assessment and musculoskeletal health of the underprivileged school children in Pune, India. Health Promotion Perspectives, 3(1), 36.
- Robinson, C. (2014). Human capital, education, achievement and learning. Department of Economics, University of Western Ontario
- Rodrigues, S., Montebelo, M. I. L., & Teodori, R. M. (2008). Distribuição da força plantar e oscilação do centro de pressão em relação ao peso e posicionamento do material escolar [Distribution of plantar force and oscillation of the pressure center in relation to the weight and positioning of school supplies]. Revista Brasileira De Fisioterapia, 12(1). https://doi.org/10.1590/S1413-35552008000100009
- Rontogiannis, D., Tsaklis, P., Mavromoustakos, S., & Kottaras, S. (2017). Comparison between two different types of school bags and musculoskeletal symptoms in primary school students. IETI Trans Ergon Saf, 1(2), 11-21.
- Sampaio, M. H. L. D. M., Oliveira, L. C. D., Pinto, F. J. M., Muniz, M. Z. A., Gomes, R. C. T. F., & Coelho, G. R. L. (2016). Postural changes and pain in the academic performance of elementary school students. Fisioterapia Em Movimento, 29(2), 295-303. https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-5150.029.002.AO08
- Sato, T., Ito, T., Hirano, T., Morita, O., Kikuchi, R., Endo, N., & Tanabe, N. (2008). Low BP in childhood and adolescence: A cross-sectional study in Niigata City. European Spine Journal, 17(11), 1441. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-008-0788-5
- Schofield, D. J., Shrestha, R. N., Cunich, M., Tanton, R., Kelly, S., Passey, M. E., & Veerman, L. J. (2015). Lost productive life years caused by chronic conditions in Australians aged 45–64 years, 2010–2030. Medical Journal of Australia, 203(6), 260-260. https://doi.org/10.5694/mja15.00132
- Schultz, T. W. (1961). Investment in human capital. The American Economic Review, 51(1), 1-17.
- Shahid, G., Aziz, K., Arif, A., & Fahim, M. F. (2018). Prevalence of musculoskeletal pain due to heavy backpacks in school going children of Karachi. International Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 6(471), 2. https://doi.org/10.4172/2329-9096.1000471
- Shan, Z., Deng, G., Li, J., Li, Y., Zhang, Y., & Zhao, Q. (2013). Correlational analysis of neck/SP and low BP with the use of digital products, physical activity and psychological status among adolescents in Shanghai. Plos One, 8(10), P.E78109. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0078109
- Siambanes, D., Martinez, J. W., Butler, E. W., & Haider, T. (2004). Influence of school backpacks on adolescent back pain. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 24(2), 211-217. https://doi.org/10.1097/01241398-200403000-00015
- Siegenthaler, E., Wurtz, P., & Groner, R. (2010). Improving the usability of e-book readers. Journal of Usability Studies, 6(1), 25-38.
- Siivola, S. (2003). Neck and SP in a young population: Prevalence and etiological factors. Oulunyliopisto.
- Siivola, S. M., Levoska, S., Latvala, K., Hoskio, E., Vanharanta, H., & Keinänen-Kiukaanniemi, S. (2004). Predictive factors for neck and SP: A longitudinal study in young adults. Spine, 29(15), 1662-1669. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000133644.29390.43
- Spiteri, K., Busuttil, M. L., Aquilina, S., Gauci, D., Camilleri, E., & Grech, V. (2017). Schoolbags and BP in children between 8 and 13 years: A national study. British Journal of Pain, 11(2), 81-86. https://doi.org/10.1177/2049463717695144
- Springer, S., Gleicher, H., & Hababou, H. (2018). Attitudes and beliefs about musculoskeletal pain and its association with pain neuroscience knowledge among physiotherapy students in Israel. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research, 7(1), 67. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13584-018-0266-4
- Springett, A. G., & Wise, J. E. (2007). Promoting healthy backs in schools: An evaluative study. Health Education, 107(5), 463-479. https://doi.org/10.1108/09654280710778592
- Syazwan, A. I., Azhar, M. M., Anita, A. R., Azizan, H. S., Shaharuddin, M. S., Hanafiah, J. M., Muhaimin, A., Nizar, A., Rafee, B. M., Ibthisdam, A. M., & Kasani, A. (2011). Poor sitting posture and a heavy schoolbag as contributors to musculoskeletal pain in children: an ergonomic school education intervention program. Journal of Pain Research, 4, 287. https://doi.org/10.2147/JPR.S22281
- Tantawy, S. A., Abdul Rahman, A., & Abdul Ameer, M. (2017). The relationship between the development of musculoskeletal disorders, body mass index, and academic stress in Bahraini University students. The Korean Journal of Pain, 30(2), 126-133. https://doi.org/10.3344/kjp.2017.30.2.126
- Taras, H. (2005). Nutrition and student performance at school. Journal of School Health, 75(6), 199-213. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2005.00026.x
- Triki, M., Koubaa, A., Masmoudi, L., Fellmann, N., & Tabka, Z. (2015). Prevalence and risk factors of low BP among undergraduate students of a sports and physical education institute in Tunisia. Libyan Journal of Medicine, 10(1), 26802. https://doi.org/10.3402/ljm.v10.26802
- Uyal, B. N., Yel, E. B., & Korhan, O. (2017). Impact of traditional education and tablet-assisted education on students: A comparative analysis. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 13(11), 7205-7213. https://doi.org/10.12973/ejmste/79045
- Van Heerden, M., & Van Belle, J. P. (2013). Using e-readers and tablets in higher education: A student perspective. In The fourth international conference on e-learning (ICEL2013) (pp. 154-166).
- Viester, L., Verhagen, E. A., Hengel, K. M. O., Koppes, L. L., Van Der Beek, A. J., & Bongers, P. M. (2013). The relation between body mass index and musculoskeletal symptoms in the working population. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 14(1), 238. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-14-238
- Vijay, S., & Ide, M. (2016). Musculoskeletal neck and BP in undergraduate dental students at a UK dental school—A cross-sectional study. British Dental Journal, 221(5), 241. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.2016.642
- Von Cramon-Taubadel, S. (1998). Estimating asymmetric price transmission with the error correctionrepresentation: An application to the german pork market. European Review of Agricultural Economics, 25, 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1093/erae/25.1.1
- Walicka-Cupryś, K., Skalska-Izdebska, R., Rachwał, M., & Truszczyńska, A. (2015). Influence of the weight of a school backpack on spinal curvature in the sagittal plane of seven-year-old children. Biomed Research International (2015). https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/817913
- Wáng, Y. X. J., Wáng, J. Q., & Káplár, Z. (2016). Increased low BP prevalence in females than in males after menopause age: Evidences based on synthetic literature review. Quantitative Imaging in Medicine and Surgery, 6(2), 199. https://doi.org/10.21037/qims.2016.04.06
- Watson, K. D., Papageorgiou, A. C., Jones, G. T., Taylor, S., Symmons, D. P., Silman, A. J., & Macfarlane, G. J. (2002). Low BP in schoolchildren: Occurrence and characteristics. Pain, 97(1-2), 87-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(02)00008-8
- White, H. (1980). A heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimator and a direct test for heteroskedasticity. Econometrica: Journal of the Econometric Society, pp. 817-838. https://doi.org/10.2307/1912934
- Wigram, J. (2002). Why is low BP common in adolescence. Education and Health, 20, 36-37.
- Wooldridge, J. M. (2015). Introductory econometrics: A modern approach. Nelson Education.
- Yang, T. C., Matthews, S. A., & Chen, V. Y. J. (2014). Stochastic variability in stress, sleep duration, and sleep quality across the distribution of body mass index: Insights from quantile regression. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 21(2), 282-291. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12529-013-9293-2
- Yelin, E. (1997). The earnings, income, and assets of persons aged 51-61 with and without musculoskeletal conditions. The Journal of Rheumatology, 24(10), 2024-2030.
- Yeun, Y. R., & Han, S. J. (2017). Factors associated with neck/shoulder pain in young adults. Biomedical Research, 28(16).
- Yoon, J. G. (2014). Correlations between muscle activities and strap length and types of school bag during walking. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 26(12), 1937-1939. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.26.1937
- Zimerman, M. (2011). E-readers in an academic library setting. Library Hi Tech, 29(1), 91-108. https://doi.org/10.1108/07378831111116930
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.