Rural Children’s Representations of the Land
Aquademia, 2022, 6(1), ep22002, https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/11892
In this study, we investigated children’s representations of the land while they participated on a place-based environmental education program in a Brazilian rural school. Environmental education activities aimed to foster a critical understanding of children’s contextual reality as residents of a rural settlement associated with the Landless Workers’ Movement (MST). We focused our analysis in the representations of the land, due to the symbolism it carries for farmers and activists for agrarian reform. From the analysis of the materials produced in the activities and the field notes of participatory observation, we identified three categories in children’s representations: (I) land as the provider, (II) land as home and (III) land as the biodiversity. In these categories, we observed children understand land as a constituent of their contextual reality. These results reinforce the pedagogical potential of interacting with land, particularly in the development place attachment and pro-environmental place meanings.
landless workers’ movement rural children land representation place attachment place meaning participatory action research
Giron, H., & Ferraro, J. L. (2022). Rural Children’s Representations of the Land. Aquademia, 6(1), ep22002. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/11892
Giron, H., and Ferraro, J. L. (2022). Rural Children’s Representations of the Land. Aquademia, 6(1), ep22002. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/11892
Giron H, Ferraro JL. Rural Children’s Representations of the Land. AQUADEMIA. 2022;6(1):ep22002. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/11892
Giron H, Ferraro JL. Rural Children’s Representations of the Land. AQUADEMIA. 2022;6(1), ep22002. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/11892
Giron, Heloísa, and José Luís Ferraro. "Rural Children’s Representations of the Land". Aquademia 2022 6 no. 1 (2022): ep22002. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/11892
Giron, Heloísa et al. "Rural Children’s Representations of the Land". Aquademia, vol. 6, no. 1, 2022, ep22002. https://doi.org/10.21601/aquademia/11892
- Adams, S., & Savahl, S. (2013). Children’s perception of the natural environment: A South African perspective. Children’s Geographies, 13(2), 196-211. https://doi.org/10.1080/14733285.2013.829659
- Adelman, C. (1993) Kurt Lewin and the origins of action research. Educational Action Research, 1(1), 7-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/0965079930010102
- Alerby, E. (2000). A way of visualising children’s and young people’s thoughts about the environment: A study of drawings. Environmental Education Research, 6(3), 205-222. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504620050076713
- Amorim, L. R. (2016). Educação ambiental nos assentamentos de trabalhadores rurais do município de Buritis – MG: Qualificação tecnológica para a preservação do Bioma Cerrado [Master dissertation, American University, Asuncion, Paraguay].
- Arroyo, M. G. (2014). Outros sujeitos, outras pedagogias [Other subjects, other pedagogies]. Vozes.
- Atal, M., & Drews, S (2015). Nature as relationship partner: an old frame revisited. Environmental Education Research, 21(7), 1056-1078. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2014.971715
- Ballard, H. L., & Belsky, J. M. (2010) Participatory action research and environmental learning: implications for resilient forests and communities. Environmental Education Research, 16(5-6), 611-627. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2010.505440
- Barbera, R. A. (2008) Relationships and the research process: Participatory action research and social work. Journal of Progressive Human Services, 19(2), 140-159. https://doi.org/10.1080/10428230802475448
- Bizerril, M. X. A. (2004). Children’s perceptions of Brazilian cerrado landscapes and biodiversity. The Journal of Environmental Education, 35(4), 47-58. https://doi.org/10.3200/JOEE.35.4.47-58
- Brasil (2008). Ministério da Educação. Resolução nº 2, de 28 de abril de 2008 que estabelece as “diretrizes complementares, normas e princípios para o desenvolvimento de políticas públicas de atendimento da Educação Básica do Campo” [Ministry of Education. Resolution no 2, of April 28, 2008, which establishes the “complementary guidelines, norms and principles for the development of public policies for attending Basic Education in the Countryside”]. http://portal.mec.gov.br/arquivos/pdf/resolucao_2.pdf
- Bowker, R. (2007). Children’s perceptions and learning about tropical rainforests: an analysis of their drawings. Environmental Education Research, 13(1), 75-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504620601122731
- Caldart, R. S. (2000). Pedagogia do Movimento Sem Terra: escola é mais do que escola [Pedagogy of the Landless Movement: school is more than school]. Vozes.
- Ciandrini, F. (2010). A natureza do/no MST [Master dissertation, University of Rio Grande Foundation, Rio Grande].
- Cole, A. G. (2007). Expanding the field: Revisiting environmental education principles through multidisciplinary frameworks. Reports & Research, 38(2), 35-46. https://doi.org/10.3200/JOEE.38.1.35-46
- Collado, S., Íñiguez-Rueda, L., & Corraliza, J. A. (2016). Experiencing nature and children’s conceptualizations of the natural world. Children’s Geographies, 14(6), 716-730. https://doi.org/10.1080/14733285.2016.1190812
- Fine, M. & Torre, M. A. (2019). Critical participatory action research: A feminist project for validity and solidarity. Psychology of Woman Quarterly, 43(4), 433-444. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361684319865255
- Freire, P. (1987). Pedagogia do oprimido [Pedagogy of the oppressed]. Paz e Terra.
- Galvão, M. N. C. (2006). Educação ambiental nos assentamentos rurais do MST [Environmental education in the rural settlements of the MST] [Doctoral Thesis, Federal University of Paraíba, João Pessoa].
- Kjellström, S., & Mitchell, A. (2019). Health and healthcare as the context for participatory action research. Action Research, 17(4), 418-428. https://doi.org/10.1177/1476750319891468
- Kudryavtsec, A., Stedman, R. C., & Krasny, M. E. (2012). Sense of place in environmental education. Environmental Education Research, 18(2), 229-250. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2011.609615
- McCormack, J. (2002). Children’s understandings of rurality: exploring interrelationship between experience and understanding. Journal of Rural Studies, 18, 193-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0743-0167(01)00043-2
- Meek, D. (2015). Learning as territoriality: the political ecology of education in the Brazilian Landless Workers’ Movement. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 42(6), 1179-1200. https://doi.org/10.1080/03066150.2014.978299
- Moraes, R., & Galiazzi, M. C. (2006). Análise textual discursiva: processo reconstrutivo de múltiplas faces [Discursive textual analysis: a multiple face reconstructive process]. Ciência & Educação, 12(1), 117-128. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-73132006000100009
- Moraes, R. (2003). Uma tempestade de luz: a compreensão possibilitada pela análise textual discursiva [A storm of light: the understanding made possible by discursive textual analysis]. Ciência & Educação, 9(2), 191-211. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-73132003000200004
- Sanderud, J. R. (2020). Mutual experiences: understanding children’s play in nature through sensory ethnography. Journal of Adventure Education & Outdoor Learning, 20(2), 111-122. https://doi.org/10.1080/14729679.2018.1557058
- Stedile, J. P., & Fernandes, B. M. (2005). Brava Gente: a trajetória do MST e a luta pela terra no Brasil [Brava Gente: the trajectory of the MST and the struggle for land in Brazil]. Editora Fundação Perseu Abramo.
- Streck, D. R. (2013). Pesquisa (ação) participante e convergências disciplinares: Reflexões a partir do estudo do orçamento participativo no sul do Brasil [Participatory research (action) and disciplinary convergences: Reflections from the study of participatory budgeting in southern Brazil]. Civitas, 13(3), 477-495. https://doi.org/10.15448/1984-7289.2013.3.16525
- Oliveira, J. C. A. (2008). Meio ambiente e educação ambiental no MST: representações sociais no Assentamento 10 de Abril no município do Crato-Ceará [Environment and environmental education in the MST: social representations in the 10 de Abril Settlement in the municipality of Crato-Ceará] [Doctoral thesis, Federal University of Ceará, Fortaleza].
- Paredes-Chi, A., & Alva, M. D. V. (2020). Participatory action research (PAR) and environmental education (EE): A Mexican experience with teachers from a primary rural school. Environmental Education Research, 26(11), 1578-1593. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2020.1788515
- Paula, H. P. (2005). Educação e sustentabilidade: assentamento Maria da Paz [Education and sustainability: Maria da Paz settlement. 2005] [Doctoral Thesis, Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte, Natal].
- Pinto, L. F. G., Faria, V. G., Sparovek, G., Reydon, B. P., Ramos, C. A., Siqueira, G. P., Godar, J., Gardner, T., Rajão, R., Alencar, A., Carvalho, T., Cerignoni, F., Granero, I. M., Couto, M. (2020). Quem são os poucos donos das terras agrícolas no Brasil – O mapa da desigualdade [Who are the few owners of agricultural land in Brazil - The inequality map]. Sustentabilidade em Debate, 10.
- Profice, C. (2018). Nature as a living presence: Drawings by Tupinambá and New York Children. PLoS ONE, 13(10), e0203870. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0203870
- Thiollent, M. (2014). Pesquisa-ação e pesquisa participante: uma visão de conjunto [Action research and participatory research: an overview]. In D. Streck, E. A. Sobottka, & E. Eggert (Eds.), Conhecer e transformar: pesquisa-ação e pesquisa participante em diálogo internacional [Knowing and transforming: action research and participatory research in international dialogue](1st ed., pp. 15-25). Editora CRV.
- Vargas, L. A. A. (2007) A questão agrária e o meio ambiente: trabalho e educação na luta pela terra e pela sustentabilidade [The agrarian issue and the environment: work and education in the struggle for land and sustainability] [Master dissertation, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro].
- Vendramini, C. R., Stronzake, J., Stronzake, J., & Morais, S. P. (2016). Challenges of working-class education at present: The landless workers’ movement experience in Brazil. International Labor and Working-Class History, 90, 196-202. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0147547916000223
- Vignatti, M. A. P. (2205). De “coisa de pequeno burguês” para um debate relevante: a trajetória ambiental do Movimento dos Trabalhadores Rurais Sem Terra (MST) – 1984/2004 [From “petty bourgeois thing” to a relevant debate: the environmental trajectory of the Landless Rural Workers Movement (MST) - 1984/2004] [Master dissertation, Catholic University of Brasilia, Brasilia].
- Yilmaz, F., & Kahraman, A. D. (2015). Science and nature perception in the images and pictures of the children. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 176(20), 650-658. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.523
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.